The Good Guys


I don’t often choose to review non fiction books, but when I saw this book I just had to read it and I can honestly say that I was not disappointed. This aspirational text highlights the possibility for boys/men to be kind regardless of how powerful, famous, rich or successful they become. Some entries were to be expected such as Confucius, Lincoln and the Dalai Lama, but conversely other entries gave a fascinating insight into the role models for present day children. It was heart-warming to read about the changes and amazing improvements Lionel Messi and Usain Bolt have made to other people’s lives - as they remember the struggles they had to face to reach their own level of fame and success. 

I have to admit that my favourite section of the book is called ‘Age is just a number’. This section focuses on the kindness and difference young people can make, from trying to clean up the worlds oceans to developing ground-breaking medical tests - these young people are truly aspirational. 

I would recommend this to all KS2 teachers and primary school librarians.