The Day I Fell into a Fairytale


In this, Ben Miller’s third book, we are taken into a magical land with an interesting and somewhat sinister take on the traditional fairytales.

When the (very unusual and mysterious) Grimm supermarket appears during the night, Lana’s life is turned upside down – not only does she find a portal to a fairytale world tucked in the pic-n-mix but she finds herself drawn into the turmoil and peril of the stories she has been reading. Lana starts her journey in Briar Rose’s castle after reading part of the story with her mother, then being led to the portal by the strange little man who works in the store. After dreaming about the story and being disbelieved by her parents about the portal, Lana is banned from reading anymore of the story. So, when Lana discovers there is no happily ever after in sight, she enlists the help of her brother in order to help the characters in person.

Just like Lana, I was intrigued as to where this tale would end. The inclusion of consent – through the prince only kissing the princess on the hand (due to her being asleep and unable to consent to being kissed) was a very modern and welcome addition. The story is well told and compelling, which I think will certainly appeal to a KS2 audience. Lana is a strong female protagonist, as she is brave, resilient and compassionate. I liked the rekindling of the playful relationship between Lana and her older brother Harrison (who had become too serious to play since starting secondary school).

This book was truly a pleasure to read and I will be recommending it in my school library.
Pupil reviews:
I liked all the mystery and magic included. It made me feel nervous one second and excited the next. I would recommend this book to someone who loves magic and mystery. If you like evil being defeated, this is the book for you!

(reviewed by Olivia)


I liked that the portal to the fairytale world was in the sweet section of the supermarket. I would recommend this book to children 8+ who like fairytales, especially Sleeping Beauty, because in the book Lana has to save Briar Rose - with some help from her brother (Harrison).

(reviewed by Sophie, aged 8)